NAD+ precursor that supports cellular function, heart health and cognition
- Nicotinamide riboside (NR) is a derivative of the B-vitamin niacin that supports health and longevity by serving as a precursor to NAD+.
- NR supplementation has been found to improve various parameters of health, including cardiovascular health, cognition and neurological function, gene expression and healthy body weight.
Supports Cognition. Declining cognitive function with age is related to reduced NAD+ levels that impair mitochondrial function. Replenishing NAD+ stores through NR may be able to prevent this dysfunction. One study found that adults with a newly diagnosed neurodegenerative condition who took 1,000 mg NR for 30 days had increased cerebral NAD+ levels, mild clinical improvement and reduced activity of pro-inflammatory molecules in the cerebrospinal fluid. NR also increased the activity of genes involved with mitochondrial function and antioxidant responses. In animal and cell-based models, NR boosted brain NAD+ levels in mice, supported cognitive performance and behavior and slowed disease progression in several others. The mechanisms behind these benefits included reduced neuroinflammation, increased levels of BDNF (brain-derived neurotrophic factor) and elevated sirtuin activity. (1,2)
Supports Heart Health. Boosting NAD+ bioavailability with precursors like NR has been proposed as a strategy for supporting cardiovascular health in aging adults. Research showed that adults who took 1,000 mg of NR per day for six weeks had reduced blood pressure. Specifically, people with elevated blood pressure had a reduction in average systolic blood pressure (SBP) after taking NR compared to the placebo. NR had positive effects on risk factors for age-related cardiovascular events, such as aortic stiffness. (3)
Supports Metabolism and Healthy Weight. Although excessive body weight can develop at any age, adults over age 40 are particularly susceptible to age-related weight gain as metabolism slows down and body composition is altered to favor fat over lean muscle. As obese individuals have reductions in both NAD+ levels and ATP (energy) production, replenishing NAD+ through NR can help to reverse this while improving metabolic pathways to maintain a healthy weight. Research shows that supplementing with NR reduces fat mass and increases fat-free mass. (4)
1. Brakedal B, Dölle C, Riemer F, et al. The NADPARK study: A randomized phase I trial of nicotinamide riboside supplementation in Parkinson's disease. Cell Metab. 2022;34(3):396-407.e6. doi:10.1016/j.cmet.2022.02.001
2. Nkrumah-Elie Y, Erickson A, Idoine R, et al. Nicotinamide Riboside Supports Brain Health: Assessing the Evidence. Curr Dev Nutr. 2022;6(Suppl 1):798. Published 2022 Jun 14. doi:10.1093/cdn/nzac064.017
3. Martens CR, Denman BA, Mazzo MR, et al. Chronic nicotinamide riboside supplementation is well-tolerated and elevates NAD+ in healthy middle-aged and older adults. Nat Commun. 2018;9(1):1286. Published 2018 Mar 29. doi:10.1038/s41467-018-03421-7
4. Remie CME, Roumans KHM, Moonen MPB, et al. Nicotinamide riboside supplementation alters body composition and skeletal muscle acetylcarnitine concentrations in healthy obese humans. Am J Clin Nutr. 2020;112(2):413-426. doi:10.1093/ajcn/nqaa072